Monday 7 October 2024

travelling on the nightsleeper

Over the last three weeks I have been gripped by the BBC drama Nightsleeper. Set on a train travelling from Glasgow to London, two strangers work together to try and avert a disaster after it has been “hack-jacked”. As the train hurtles out of control towards Paddington Station in London one of the employees calls out, “Everything is gone. The only thing we have now is prayer.”



Someone famously said, “There are no atheists on a sinking ship!” Or in this case, a runaway train! That scene from the drama has cause me to reflect that it is often after we have exhausted every option at our disposal that we turn to God in prayer.


That seems such a low bar! What if we raise the bar? What if we move prayer from the extremities of life; the place of utter desperation, to the centre; the place heartfelt devotion? 


Over the last few months I have had a renewed appreciation of the place of quiet at the start of each day. To quote William Booth from last week’s reflection, I endeavour to “rise every morning sufficiently early to wash, dress, and have a few minutes, not less than five, in private prayer.” I hold a cup of good coffee in my hand, have an open Bible on my lap, and seek to reorientate my life, through prayer, in a Godward direction for the day ahead


And if we are looking for inspiration on how to raise the bar in prayer, then I have personally found it in Ann Lamott’s book in which she outlines three essential prayers which she refers to as, Help, Thanks, Wow. 


Of course, those three essential prayers are woven into the greatest of all prayers, the Lord’s Prayer, that forms part of Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 6:5-13). I repeat that prayer at the beginning of each new day and it continues to move me; the words contain an abiding relevance in every circumstance of life.


Observe how the bar slowly rises in Ann Lamott’s writing, beginning with:


Help

O God, do not be far from me; O my God, hasten to my help" (Psalm 71:12).


Thanks

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God (Philippians 4:6).


Wow

Who is like you -
    majestic in holiness,
awesome in glory,
    working wonders?
(Exodus 15:11).


May I humbly suggest that although that outline is helpful, Jesus’ teaching on prayer begins with the bar already set very high. 

He invites us, first of all, to be caught up in the wonder of God’s character - “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name” (Matthew 6:5). Wow.

From that height a spirit of gratitude develops. Thanks. 

Until we finally fall facedown acknowledging our need of his grace and mercy. Help.


Putting the essential prayers in that order enables us to focus on God above all else.  


(picture - Paisley Abbey from Sauchil Hill)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment