Monday, 14 September 2026

four truths that make all the difference

I’ve just finished reading the longest book in the bible…and it was a tough read! It’s the Old Testament prophecy of Jeremiah. Known as “the Weeping Prophet,” Jeremiah is given the unenviable task of being God’s servant during the darkest days of Israel’s history.  He prophesied on the eve of God’s people being taken into exile. There would be no happy ending, no visible signs of lives changed and society ordered for the better as a result of his ministry. There was only his lone voice speaking out against the unfaithfulness of the Israelites and the resultant consequences of their actions. 


Against that background I have been much helped by reflecting on the opening chapter of the book. It acts as the introduction to, and the key to understanding the book. Perhaps more than that, it provides us with wonderful insights in the Lord’s character and his call on Jeremiah’s life. 


What would furnish Jeremiah with the necessary means to be God’s man in such trying circumstances? The Lord’s word to him provided the answer. He reminded him of four key truths that are, in many ways, applicable to all of God’s people. The Lord said,


“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
and before you were born I consecrated you;
I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”

(Jer. 1:5)


The first truth was a reminder of:

➡️ God’s Creative Power - “I formed you”

Jeremiah needed to hear a truth that Genesis 1 introduces us to and which permeates all of Scripture. That is, we are made by God and for God. Genesis 1 teaches that we are made in the image of God (verse 27). This means that we are not just advanced apes, one step further along the evolutionary scale than the rest of the animal kingdom.


God’s creative power would remind Jeremiah that the source of human dignity lies in the fact that God made us. He was a person of infinite worth in God’s eyes. 


The second truth centres on:

➡️ God’s Intimate Knowledge - “I knew you”

As I said above Jeremiah was the prophet who would prophesy God’s people into exile. And the Lord saw qualities in this man that would equip him for such a task. Psalm 139 is a wonderful commentary on this truth. “O Lord you have searched me and KNOWN ME…” (verse1).


Thirdly, Jeremiah would discover:

➡️ God’s Sacred Anointing - “I consecrated you”

Jeremiah was a man set apart to be God’s prophet, not only to the Israelites but also to the nations at large.


And finally he learn of:

➡️ God’s Effectual Call - “I appointed you” 

God had a purpose and a task for Jeremiah even before he was born.


The Lord knew Jeremiah’s unique character traits, personality and temperament. And he knew how he would respond to his call…


“Then (Jeremiah) said, “Ah, Lord God! Behold, I do not know how to speak, for I am only a youth.” But the Lord said to me,

“Do not say, ‘I am only a youth’;
for to all to whom I send you, you shall go,
and whatever I command you, you shall speak.

Do not be afraid of them,
for I am with you to deliver you,
declares the Lord.”

(Jer. 1:6-8)


Jeremiah felt inadequate. He did not feel up to the task that the Lord has set before him. But the Lord wanted him to know that he had all the resources necessary for this call on his life.


Over my life I have worked with people who are far more intelligent than I am and have greater capacity than I will ever have. However, I am so grateful to God that I learned in my early 20s that the Lord can take me as I am, in all my weakness, and use me in the way that he sees fit.


Wherever we are today in our walk with God today, the Lord’s call on Jeremiah’s life can be an encouragement:


“I CAN’T BUT THE LORD CAN.”


(picture - The Berklet Trail at Ballachulish)

No comments:

Post a Comment