Monday 12 August 2024

A Godly Example


The church we attended yesterday included the congregation singing the beautiful hymn, “Be still, my soul”. Quite unexpectedly I was overcome with emotion mainly because this is my mum’s favourite hymn. Unable to sing, my mind went back to a conversation mum and I once had about her work at the Ryeside factory in Dalry when she was in her late 20s. Her shifts finished at 7.30pm. However, she was given permission to clock out at 7.25pm each Tuesday to make the short journey up the road to North Street Gospel Hall for the midweek prayer gathering. That action says a lot about mum’s priorities in life. Her life has been underpinned by prayer and a steadfast commitment to following Jesus Christ.


She is 91 this month, her memory is fading and her frame is fragile. However, her spirit is strong. When I occasionally read the hymns from her beloved “Believer’s Hymnbook” or recite Scripture her response is always the same - “It’s good to be reminded of these things.”


Over the course of the day, I was reminded of another pilgrim - John Bunyan’s Christian from his classic allegory, “Pilgrim’s Progress”. Like mum, Christian faced his own challenges. At one such moment, Mr Hopeful assures him, “Be of good cheer, my brother, for I feel the bottom and it is sound.” I love those words! The Christian faith offers us a firm place on which to set our feet. 


Perhaps as we step into a new week this is the kind of reassurance we need. Life is difficult but God is merciful. So “be of good cheer, for I feel the bottom and it is sound.”


6 comments:

  1. An encouraging and poignant post, Iain. Our parents leave us an inheritance that affects our whole lives. So good to have a God-fearing mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post Iain. Than you for sharing it .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank God for Christian parents who brought us up in a Godly home

    ReplyDelete